Economic Development and Planning Committee
February 6, 2009, 9:00 a.m.
Assembly Room, SawyerCounty Courthouse
Committee Members Attending: Arlene Mizerka, Warren Johnson, Shirley Riedmann, Ken Maki,
Others Attending: Linda Zillmer, Sheri Beckman, Linda Clifford, Kris Mayberry, Don Mrotek, David Berard, Gary Gedart, Sheldon Johnson, Will LaBreche, Jim Onarheim
Meeting called to order by chairperson Riedmann at 9:00 am.
01. Meeting agenda – Motion by Johnson, seconded by Riedmann to approve the agenda as published. Motion carried
02. Minutes of the meeting of January 6, 2008 – Motion by Johnson, Riedmann to correct the grant numbers to the appropriate amounts $434,400 for the grant amount and $108,600 for the required match and approve the minutes as amended. Motion carried
03. Audience recognition - none
04. Sawyer County Bicycle Trails planning committee update – Gary Gedart reported on the second meeting of the bicycle pedestrian trail committee. They have secured the money to proceed with design. Gedart will contact Boulder Junction for information on RFP for design engineer and establish a selection committee. They are hoping to work with the city on a joint RFP. The next committee meeting is in April. Gedart will bring the stewardship grant back to the committee in April.
05. Local transportation enhancement program Winter Depot project agreement – Kris Mayberry shared an agreement for the DOT grant for Winter Depot. A signature is needed for the Federal/State/Project Sponsor Transportation Enhancement (TE) Program Project Agreement. Discussion of having a side agreement with the “Friends” group regarding being accountable for any cost overruns and ongoing maintenance. Motion by Johnson to approve the sponsor agreement and send it to finance with the understanding that we will have a memorandum of understanding with the Friends of Tuscobia group, seconded by Riedmann. Motion carried.
06. Tuscobia Trail Enhancement Committee update – They have advertised for bids, are doing research on deeds which are required to move forward. Waiting for spring construction.
07. Northwest Regional Planning Commission (NWRPC) report including update on revolving loan funds and comprehensive planning project – Sheldon Johnson reported on NWRPC. NWRED fund has approved and closed a loan this past month. SawyerCounty housing RLF program has less than $5,000 in the fund so no loans are being given at this time. They are seeking opportunities for additional housing funds. The next round of applications for the community development block grant is due in May. Johnson presented a summary of expenses incurred on the comprehensive planning project (see attached). Motion by Johnson, Riedmann seconds, to forward to finance the invoice for $38,375.30 and recommendation for payment. Motion carried. NWRPC is also submitting a request for funding from the state. Johnson also submitted a timeline for completion of the comp planning process (on file). Other items include discussions Johnson had with DNR representatives regarding signs for the Tuscobia Trail and forwarding of copies of the annual Community Economic Development Strategy to the economic development committee.
08. Sawyer County Economic Development Corporation report – Scott Allen reported on the ribbon cutting ceremonies for Northern Great Lakes Renewable and NorthernBridges. Turnout was excellent. SCDC is meeting with employers, some of whom are having difficult times. Looking at sites for a business incubator location. They have completed visits with businesses in Hayward, StoneLake, and Winter. SCDC is hoping to follow up with funding to assist the small businesses develop their websites. They have also partnered with Indianhead Community Action Agency for a neighborhood stabilization program. Committee discussion on Huber participants and availability of jobs.
09. Hayward Lakes Visitor and Convention Bureau report including plans for 2009 – Jim Onarheim presented on behalf of the VCB. The VCB is partnering with individual entities to staff and run the sport show booths. Also staff and the board have worked to put the tourism book on the internet and reduce number of printed copies. Local resort business has been very good this year. They are getting national exposure on several events and TV coverage is scheduled on several of the local broadcasting events. They are getting ready for the Governor’s opener in May. They are developing the Hayward Famous Fish Fry with 7 restaurants participating. They have also participated in the Sawyer County Trails Committee meetings.
10. Plan and/or process for the consideration of providing County funds for the development of parks in Sawyer County, including use of environmental impact funds received from American Transmission Company - Riedmann discussed the finance committee’s need for an application for funds. Committee discussion of whether it is the economic development committee’s role to develop the application for parks or whether it should be done by another committee. Economic Development committee decision to table the development of an application at this time.
11. Review of Economic Summit summary and discussion on next steps – What progress is being made on priorities listed in the economic summit summary. Berard will work with Scott Allen and others to do a summary of actions
12. Superior Days Schedule and Issues update – Berard provided the updated issues list to the committee for review.
13. Other matters for discussion only - Renewable Energy for America Program workshop to be hosted by Extension on Feb 10, ATV Masterplan provided to Forestry Committee Mrotek will provide information to this committee as well. Item will be placed on next month’s agenda.
14. Adjourn – Motion to adjourn by Johnson, seconded by Riedmann