Economic Development and Planning Committee meeting
Tuesday, March 6, 1:30 p.m.
Assembly Room – Sawyer County Courthouse
Attending: Ken Maki, Warren Johnson, Dean Pearson, Tom Duffy, Walt Jaeger, Hal Helwig
Others Attending: Don Mrotek, Linda Zillmer, Dave Berard, Sheldon Johnson, Carol Pearson
01. Meeting agenda – Jaeger, Duffy
02. Minutes of the meeting of February 7, 2012 – Johnson, Pearson,
03. Audience recognition – Don Mrotek – snowmobile update. Last weekend was fantastic for snowmobiles, but there was too much snow which created some rough trails. They had a snowmobile go through the ice this past weekend.
04. Indianhead Community Action Agency report, including Community Development Block Grant housing rehabilitation project – No report for March. Maki asked if money from the Block Grant could be used for 50% match for a bike storage unit. Sheldon Johnson who had worked with the program in the past responded no.
05. Northwest Regional Planning Commission report – All hazards mitigation plan is being worked on . HHW event dates are set June 23 and July 28. Business milk runs are being promoted. Stroschine continues to meet with businesses looking to access revolving loan financing. Visions Northwest regional economic development program. Letters went out to the county chairs for appointments to this group. Counties will appoint a representative that represents county interests. WEDC discussion of consolidating funds into the regional pools. WEDC wants to have a follow-up meeting to continue the discussion. Warren Johnson, how can we look at grants for hanger expansion at the airport. Possibly using business incubator funding for some development. Lately, the incubator funding has been received through earmarks and regular grants are not available. Invite Rick to the next meeting to discuss incubator development.
06. Sawyer County Economic Development Corporation report – Scott Allen couldn’t attend. He asked Dave Berard to relay the following information: Exploring water treatment plant and a feasibility study is underway. The treatment plant could possibly service local haulers. Several projects are underway one of which might create significant jobs. Allen indicated that the SCDC is opposed to regulating frac sand mining, and that Mic Isham is not in support of Treelands expansion. Duffy asked that Maki send a written letter to Scott asking him to attend the next economic development meeting and copy the Tribe.
07. Hayward Area Visitor and Convention Bureau report – No report The VCB staff is currently at the Governor’s Conference on Tourism.
08. Development of policy for expenditures from Environmental Impact Fund – Needs refinement. Committee to keep working on some guidelines.
09. Hayward DNR Forestry Nursery – Ken will not be on the committee but would be willing to serve on an ad hoc committee made up of citizens, county board members, and tribal members to formulate an initiative and start the process. Motion to direct Maki to write a letter to the DNR requesting the land to be signed by Helwig. Second by Duffy. Motion carried
10. Treland RV Park – status – going back to the planning commission and on zoning for April.
11. Frac Sand Mining – No activity at this point. Johnson will provide additional information to the committee. Leave on agenda for next month.
12. Monthly expense vouchers – No vouchers
13. Other matters for discussion only
a. Pearson shared that the Fairgrounds wanted to put up another building at a cost of approximately $15,000. They may be asking the county for $5,000 in the future.
b. Berard shared sales tax info. For February 2012 $104,765 up from February 2011 $89,521. Year to date 2012 $189,624 2011 $185,845
Motion and second to adjourn.