Economic Development and Planning Committee meeting
Tuesday, July 10, 1:30 p.m.
Committee Members Attending: Tom Duffy, Dean Pearson, Dale Thompson, Warren Johnson, Bill Voight, Hal Helwig
Others Attending: Kris Mayberry, Wendy Schroeder, Linda Zillmer, David Berard, Ned Zuelsdorf
Meeting called to order by Chairman Duffy at 1:30 pm.
Meeting agenda – Motion by Thompson, second by Pearson to approve the agenda as presented.
Minutes of the meeting of June 12, 2012 – Motion by Voight, second by Thompson to approve the minutes of the meeting of June 12, 2012.
Audience recognition - None
Ongoing administration of CDBG housing program – Mayberry noted that at some time in the future, the contract for administration of the CDBG housing program would need to be renewed. Indianhead is currently administering the program and Northwest Regional Planning Commission has also indicated they would be willing to administer the program.
Indianhead Community Action Agency report, including Community Development Block Grant housing rehabilitation project – Mayberry indicated that the county sent a request for final reimbursement on the program and that some of the administration fees would cover county costs.
Northwest Regional Planning Commission report – Planning commission staff were not available to attend the July meeting. A written report was submitted for the committee (on file)
Hayward Area Visitor and Convention Bureau report – Linda Clifford reported on tourism activities including a new traveling information center. Clifford will be leaving the VCB and future correspondence should be sent the agenda to Sherri. Wendy Schroeder also noted she is leaving the area and a new representative to the Vision Northwest will need to be appointed.
Committee purpose and roles – Approved the past month
Monthly expense vouchers - None
Other matters for discussion only –
- Voight reported on Sawyer County Development Corporation meeting. (agenda on file)
- Bike Trail – Johnson reported on the trail project. The consultants have been working on last quarter mile near K.
- Johnson updated the committee on the NWRPC semi-annual meeting including the Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS), and a Frac Send presentation.
- Johnson indicated he spoke with Matt Maroney regarding the nursery – the DNR is waiting to for a proposal.
- Helwig reported that the ATC funds are being leveraged for the park development in Stone Lake, and the development continues.
- Berard highlighted monthly economic data: Sales tax receipts are up from the past year, unemployment remains high with only Iron and Menominee Counties being higher.
- Berard shared that more than 3,000 responses have been received thus far from the Silent Sports Economic Impact Study, and that the drought will have some significant impact on our state.
- Mayberry noted that two different groups have asked for the materials for the ATC grant funding. They have received no applications to date.
- Zuelsdorf updated the committee on Birkie events: They have registered over 4100 for the ski races. Smaller events are also gathering registrations. A paintball biathlon is coming up later in the month. Also, looking at a fat tire bike race for spring.
Motion by Dale, second by Dean – unanimous.
Closed Session subject to sec. 19.85 (1)(e) – For the purpose of considering a proposal for the purchase of a parcel of real estate by Sawyer County. (Minutes from closed sessions are kept in a separate file in the county clerk’s office.)
Motion by Thompson, second by Pearson to move into closed session subject to the statute 19.85(1)(e). Motion Carried
Motion by Johnson, second by Thompson to move out of closed session and return to open session. Motion carried.
Motion to adjourn by Johnson, second by Pearson, meeting adjourned.