PUBLIC HEARING BEFORE THE
SAWYER COUNTY BOARD OF APPEALS
20 JANUARY 2003
Board of Appeals = BOA
AV = Arvid Vallem, Chairman
RZ = Ray Zubrod
AG = Alan Gerber
KZ = Kenneth Zeroth
LN = Larry Neff
LR = Laura Rusk, 1st Alternate
HB = Howard Brossard, 2nd Alternate
Zoning Administration = ZA
WAC = William A. Christman, Zoning Administrator
CY = Cindy Yackley, Deputy Zoning Administrator
1) Call to Order and Roll Call
AG, Acting Chairman, calls the Public Hearing before the Sawyer County Zoning Board of Appeals to order at 7:00 P.M. in the Sawyer County Courthouse, 10610 Main St., Hayward, Wisconsin. Roll is called finding present: AG, KZ, LN, LR, HB, WAC, and CY.
2) Statement of Board and Hearing Procedures.
Those wishing to speak will be afforded the opportunity provided they identify themselves. AG gives order of submitting files to BOA, taking testimony, and making a decision. Requests orderly procedure. Gives appeal deadline.
3) Statement of Hearing Notice.
Public Hearing published as a Class 2 Notice in accordance with Chapter 985 of the Wisconsin Statutes in the Sawyer County Record on December 31, 2003 and January 7, 2004. AG gives agenda outline.
1) Town of Sand Lake – Ruth Springer. Lot 1 and Lot 1, being Part of Govt Lot 2, S 16, T 39N, R 9W, Parcel :2.5. Vol 547 Records Page 329; CSM Vol 5 Page 360 and CSM Vol 7 Page 138. 1.29 acres (56,192 square feet). Property is zoned Residential/Recreational One. Application is for the construction of a 17'x34' addition with a 6'x17' front deck at a setback distance of 119' from the centerline of State Highway 27/70 and a 17'x14' rear deck and a 20'x20' attached garage, all exceeding 50% of the current estimated fair market value. Variance is requested as Section 4.21(1), Sawyer County Zoning Ordinance, would require a minimum setback distance of 130' from the centerline of a state highway, and Section 10.2 restricts the cost of construction to less than 50% of the current estimated fair market value. The Town Board has approved the application.
WAC reads application into the record; presents tax listers map, zone district map, and wetland map. Six (6) letters were sent. 2 were returned with no objection. Springer not present, no one to represent. AG: Properties to the west seem to be all in line with each other as far as setbacks. KZ: Purchaser was at town meeting, appears there is a difference in what she is asking for. Darnell Smith, purchaser, enters, hands out packet. Summary of request: 1. Ground floor access. 2. Simplicity of design, basement underneath. 3. Comply with existing properties. WAC asks cost of construction, material and labor. Smith: $31,000.00 for materials, labor by family members, approx. $10,000. Side lot line setbacks will not encroach. AG asks about front deck. Smith: Not important except for aesthetics. Discussion of deck and possible moving addition back. Smith: Problems with power line easement. Road easement doesn't exist on the title as well as the beach easement. Once straightened out work would begin. Possible closing on January 31.
Board of Appeals
PH: 20 January 2004
AG motions to approve the application as follows: New front deck as proposed is not allowed; 2 years to complete; application is singular, Darnell Smith as purchaser only, approval to her alone, does not transfer approval to others if sale falls through; basement allowed also.
KZ seconds motion.
Findings of Fact: It would not be the convenience of the owner. It would not be the basis of economic gain or loss. It would not be a self-created hardship. There would be no change in the use in the zone district.
COMMUNICATIONS AND MISCELLANEOUS
1) Next regular Board of Appeals meeting set for February 17, 2004 at 7:00 PM.
KZ motions to adjourn.
LN seconds motion.
pc: Board of Appeals – 7 County Board – 15 County Clerk – 1
WMS, DNR – 1 Corp. Counsel – 1 NABA –1
Summary prepared by KT (January 21, 2004)